Friday, July 22, 2011

summer evenings

We are in the middle of a heat wave, like much of the rest of the country.
Last night, my friend Eleanor and I decided to explore the Fairmont Copley Plaza Hotel as encouraged by a doorman who saw us gazing through the window at the piano in the bar (Eleanor is an amazing jazz singer and musician!).
Even though it is perfectly fine to wander around the lobby, it was so incredible (and so quiet in the evening) that it felt like sneaking around somewhere we weren't supposed to be.
taxidermy in the halls!
We decided to have drinks in the bar. Eleanor's came with a giant pretzel perched on top, as though it were an olive on a toothpick or a slice of lime. 
The whole place is just so old and it's like the history is embedded in its walls. You can practically feel the generations past when you're there, see the dresses and the lipstick and the suits.
Yay spontaneous summer nights in the city!
I hope you're all doing well with the heat. What have you been up to? 
PS - Writing about the old feeling of the Fairmont brings this commercial to mind. I think it is still one of my favorite commercials ever!

1 comment:

A Painted Journey said...

Oh my gosh, it looks like you two had THE best night! Loved your photos, and I also love that commercial! Here's to the ridiculously HOT weather breaking for a bit! Enjoy the day, Love, Mummy