Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Philadelphia Museum of Art

Last week, Aaron and I spent two nights in Pennsylvania, taking the train into Philadelphia both days. On day two we visited the zoo and the Philadelphia Museum of Art, making it far superior to day one. The museum was absolutely incredible. We went in with no game plan (if I have a plan for a museum it stresses me out) and found amazing things. Tons of Eakins, the painted backdrop of a ballet set, armor, a hall of early-american primitive folk art, and an amazing show of European prints from the 1800s which were exactly my kind of thing. (little book of the European print show, which was titled "Curious and Commonplace") They had an enormous sale on cards (10 cents for postcards and 25 cents for notecards!), so I purchased manyyy pictures of pieces I love/inspire me for reference and perhaps framing. A little sketch from "Portrait of Edwin Sturdevant of Hartland, Vermont" by Thomas Wale in the primitive section. One of my favorite pieces in the museum was "Carnival Evening" by Henri Rousseau. As soon as I saw it, it struck me as completely magical. Those little clouds clinging to the top of the sky. The trees, the moon. It's haunting and beautiful all at once, which is something I am attracted to. Somehow I had never seen this piece in my life before. I like when you stumble face to face upon an original piece of art you've never even seen in print, and it immediately becomes one of your all-time favorites./ So, all in all, the trip was lovely and amazing and the museum definitely inspired me to paint for all the shows coming up. Yay! I hope you're all having a good week.

No comments: