Sunday, December 20, 2009

scene 9

Ironically, after just writing in my last post about how much I love Blanche from A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams, I met someone at a party last night who loves Blanche just as much as I do.
We were playing cards at a table in the dark and he turned on the lamp hanging over the table, and everyone reacted to it, because it was too bright. But the cards and the swinging lamp and the fuss reminded me of the poker scene in Streetcar, and the paper lantern. And the other Blanche lover knew precisely what I was talking about when I brought up Blanche's paper lantern, the comfort she took in strange, small things, and this quote from scene 9:
Blanche: I don't want realism. I want magic! (Mitch laughs) Yes, yes, magic! I try to give that to people. I misrepresent things to them. I don't tell the truth, I tell what ought to be the truth. And if that is sinful, then let me be damned for it! 
p.s. - thank you to those of you who shared your favorite books in response to my last post. :)

No comments: