Tuesday, May 17, 2011

french books

While in Paris, I couldn't resist buying a few books. A little bookshop near my hotel was selling old french pulp novels for 0.20 euro! I found a copy of an old Anais Nin edition (she's one of my favorites) and "la communale," which has the cutest cover and science/math diagrams scattered throughout the pages.
 I also found a Polish bookshop called Librairie Polonaise A Paris, on the corner of Rue de Seine and St. Germaine Blvd. This was exciting because I am nearly half Polish, and my grandfather can speak and read Polish. I got a book of poems for children that has THE most beautiful illustrations (pictured above and in the two photos below): "Brzechwa Dzieciom" illustrated by Jan Marcin Szancer (the above illustration is an amazing self portrait of him).
 Anais in her native language 
 "la communale" by Jean L'Hote
a cute Polish children's book, "Parvel i Garvel" by Aleksander Fredro, published by Dwie Siostry. This illustrator had a series of cute little books written by different authors. 
I love my French books! It was hard to shove them all into my tightly packed suitcase but I managed. It was worth it. :) 
I hope you're all having a beautiful week!
xoxo
Amanda

5 comments:

Ivy Black said...

It ceratinly was, they're stunning! I love vintage French childrens books in particular, the illustrations are always stunning.
Glad you had a wonderful time and look forward to more posts about your trip.xxx

Amanda Laurel Atkins said...

Thank you, Ivy!! I agree - french children's book definitely have some of the best illustrations.

A Painted Journey said...

I just love your books, honey! My absolute favorite is "Brzechwa Dzieciom" illustrated by Jan Marcin Szancer. I could just crawl into those pages and live happily ever after! Can't wait for future Europe posts!... Love, Mummy

Elishia and Belinda said...

Those books are gorgeous! Do you display any of these books - say open a page to beautiful illustrations and display that? They would look so lovely! Nice taste.

bellaxx

Amanda Laurel Atkins said...

Thanks, Bella!! I would love to display them open to a page if I can find the room to do it! (I only have my bedroom in this apartment, haha!)