Sunday, January 8, 2012

black and white

There is a painting of a nun at The Friendly Toast in Portsmouth, NH. She was probably painted around 1960, and whoever created her felt like she deserved a hot pink background. My mom, who was taught by nuns at a Catholic school, loves this painting. She loves it so much that upon first seeing it she asked Friendly Toast if she could buy it. They love the nun, too, so they said no. 
I repainted her for my mom for Christmas.
I fell in love with nuns myself when I visited Spain and by chance ended up in a church where the nuns began to sing. It really was one of the most breath-taking moments of my life. 
On Christmas Eve, we watched The Sound of Music, which I hadn't seen since I was little. More beautiful singing nuns.
Nuns seem to be showing up in my life a lot lately the same way that geese have. Both beautiful black and white. I'm thankful for the inspiration for new paintings. 
xo, Amanda

2 comments:

Andi B. Goode said...

Oh, she's beautiful! What a lovely present for your mum :)
-Andi x

A Painted Journey said...

I absolutely LOVE my nun!!! I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can leave a comment! My computer has been acting up terribly!! Thank you for my BEAUTIFUL painting!... Love Mommy