Monday, June 7, 2010

blueberry mead and hula hooping

I am so excited for this movie.
Have any of you read the book by Elizabeth Gilbert? It's amazing.
I have to admit, I was a little wary of it at first.
When I began working at the bookstore, it was on the best seller shelf. And it was on the best seller shelf because of the women and men who read about a book in The New York Times, come in not knowing the author or title of the book or even really what it's about, and get annoyed that you, the bookseller, don't know the Times' appointed best sellers off the top of your head even though they themself don't even know the title of the book they so desperately want to read.
Finally, after much frustration (and a heavy sense of entitlement on the part of the customer), the book is somehow found and purchased.
This has given me a stigma against the best seller shelf in any bookstore.
I decided to give Eat Pray Love a chance, and it has every right to be on the best seller shelf. It kind of hit home in a few ways, what with my restless artistic mind and all, and I think a lot of women can easily relate to it in at least one way or another.
So if you haven't read it, I recommend that you do before the movie comes out! Also, I finally feel free to write that I did not like my job at the bookstore and that I am finally officially free of it. :)
I hope you all had a beautiful Monday!
Love,
Amanda

2 comments:

Kitty said...

Dearie,

I'm reading it right now. I was weary about it too. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I just started. But I am excited to read it. I mean come on, if you like it, it must be good.

love and hugs,
Kitty

Amanda Laurel Atkins said...

Dear Kat,
The book is a little slow to start, but it picks up! I think there are a lot of good and beautiful ideas to be taken from it and I'm glad I read it. I'm sure you will find some things that you'll want to hold onto.
Love,
Amanda