Thursday, June 10, 2010

wooden stars and paper moons

"Finally I want, and wanting is taken."
6x6"
acrylic on masonite (mounted to canvas with decorative upholstery nails)
"I used to believe in everything."
6x6"
acrylic on masonite (mounted to canvas with decorative upholstery nails)
---
These are the pieces for the July "Six by Six" at Charmingwall gallery! The gallery is in Manhattan, so I'll be staying with Nicole (who also has work in the show) in NYC the weekend of the opening. I can't wait!
I really love the idea of man-made celestial settings for play and opera sets. They always have this completely unreal element to them, and yet completely capture the feeling of a black sky with a billion white stars.
I have a collection on my computer of victorian-era postcards depicting women posing in these paper and wood sets. I'll do a post with my favorite ones soon. I hope you all have a beautiful day today!
Love,
Amanda

2 comments:

A Painted Journey said...

I LOVE these, honey!! Oh my gosh, they are just beautiful! Send some creativity my way, okay? ... Love, Mummy

Amanda Laurel Atkins said...

Thank you, Mom! love you!