Tuesday, April 5, 2011

happy accidents

On my bus ride to Kenmore today, I was looking out the window when I spotted this dress hanging in the window display at Urban Renewal. I have been looking for a great white vintage dress for the longest time, so I jumped off the bus at the next stop and ran up the street to the store. 
I was so excited, asking if the dresses in the window were for sale, and I think the people working there thought I was crazy. Urban Renewal is kind of like a Good Will or Salvation Army, so they kept reminding me that I wouldn't be able to get any of the half-off ticket sales that were happening today because it was a display dress and I kept assuring them that that was okay - it was only $7.99!
It's a little big but I can have it taken in or just add some notches to the belt. It has absolutely no tags so I think it might even be handmade. I think it's from the 40s, but I often doubt my ability to pinpoint such things. I know a lot of you who follow my blog are vintage experts - what era do you think it's from? 
I love the pleating on top and the way the shoulders stand up just a little but don't have that shoulder-pad look.
It is very rainy here today. I did some work at my old school, picked up some prints, and now I am listening to Mancini on pandora and packaging etsy orders. Sometimes I really enjoy a good rainy day.
Happy Tuesday!
xoxo, Amanda

4 comments:

A Painted Journey said...

Oh, honey, I LOVE the dress you found!! It is just beautiful! Perfect for Paris in the springtime! I also love your new header! Very classy! Makes me think I need to redo mine :) ... Love, Mummy

Ivy Black said...

Funny how these things turn up! It's lovely and I say it was from the 1940's.
xxx

Marie said...

so lovely, congrats!

Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge
31summers giveaway

Amanda Laurel Atkins said...

Thanks, Mom and Marie!!
Ivy, I am glad you think so! I was hoping it was from the 40s!!
xo