Sunday, August 28, 2011

sweetheartville: creations, music, ephemera

The other day, I received a sweet comment from Sweetheartville and clicked on the user profile to see where it led me. I am so glad I clicked. The creation of a lovely lady named Holly, Sweetheartville contains art, song, and findings that take you back to mid-century country music and vintage women of every decade. She falls perfectly into that elusive artistic corner where the aesthetic appeal of the southern states meets the color and enthusiasm of Mexican folk painting. 
My favorite things in her shop are the prayer candles featuring Patron Saints of the Domestic Arts, completely created by Holly. (I have a thing for fictional Patron Saints, as you've probably noticed in the past. The thing is, once someone creates them, they don't seem so fictional anymore, do they? They make you feel safe and stronger in what you do.)
(a hand-embroidered Wanda Jackson!)
 On top of art, Holly is also part of a music project called Welcome Little Stranger. If you're a fan of the likes of the Secret Sisters, Fleet Foxes, or Jolie Holland, you'll really love WLS's music. My favorite songs are "Evil Math" and Holly's rendition of "Johnny my Jewel," a civil war song with amazing lyrics.
 In addition to the lovely creations and music, you can find beautiful photos of Holly's home and read interesting posts about the history of art, music, and architecture that don't exclude the nice, small details. 
Holly wrote the sweetest blog post about me today and I was only too happy to do the same!
So thank you, Holly, and I'm glad I found your blog, too! 
xoxo,
Amanda
P.S. - Stay safe during Irene, everyone!

3 comments:

Ivy Black said...

Oooh, thanks for the heads up. I've visited her and it's a lovely blog.
I'm certainly going to treat myself to some of her gorgeous things.xxx

Kitty said...

Oh, my goodness. She is adorable. I am in LOVE with her candles. Miss you dear friend.
hugs,
Fritzi Marie

p.s. I'm working on a fabulous thank you care package for you. I can't wait to send it. love.

Holly Hall said...

Amanda, you flatter me! Thank you, thank you for the lovely post! I am so very honored.