Tuesday, June 14, 2011

regards to spain (& buy one get one sale)

"Regards to Spain"
acrylic on masonite, 9x12"
available as a print here
This painting is very special to me. It's the first painting I've completed since my return from Europe. It was inspired by the film I mentioned in the sketchbook post below: "Canciones para Despues de una Guerra (songs for after a war)" by Bastilio Martin Patino, which I saw at the Reina Sofia in Madrid.
While watching the film, I was particularly struck by an image of a couple dancing, the woman wearing a party hat. While I've seen adults wear party hats dozens of times in many places, it was this woman, in her vintage dress (at the time not vintage at all) with the traditional cone-shaped symbol of festivity placed on top of her perfectly styled hair, who made it seem so fun and child-like and charming. It just seemed so Spain. Even though all the clips were black and white, it was such a colorful image and I knew immediately that I had to paint a girl in a party hat. 
Also special because it's the first painting I did using some of the acrylic Vert de Nice paint I bought in Paris at a lovely art supply store in Saint Germain des Pres. It's the prettiest shade of mint I've ever found in paint form!
I figured what with all the new prints in the shop, I should have a buy one get one sale. So you know the drill, buy one print or paper doll and tell me in a convo or the message to seller box which one you'd like free! :)
xoxo, Amanda

2 comments:

A Painted Journey said...

I absolutely LOVE this painting - the colors against the black background are striking! And I love her face! Awesome job, honey, and I never get tired of hearing more and more about your trip to Europe!.. Love, Mummy

Amanda Laurel Atkins said...

aw, thanks, Mumsy :)