Saturday, November 13, 2010

read in bed

I just finished reading Fifth Avenue, 5 A.M. by Sam Wasson. It's an imagined account of the making of Breakfast at Tiffany's based on pure fact. 
Breakfast at Tiffany's has been one of my favorite movies since I was 14. I loved the dialogue, though at the time I barely understood what any of it meant. That didn't stop me from writing entire passages from the script in my journal. They used beautiful and complicated words, and I actually kind of miss not understanding what their phrasing was alluding to.
I think anyone who loves the movie will love this book. 
It goes into great detail about things like "the party scene" (one of my favorites - the man in the fight who lifts up his eye patch to reveal a perfectly healthy eye!), the casting of each character from Doc to 2E, Audrey's fears about playing Holly, Blake Edwards' direction, etc, etc. I wanted to watch the movie the whole time I was reading it but made myself wait until I had finished the book. It will be kind of fun to watch it now with all the things I know now!
And now I am reading To Kill a Mockingbird, which I haven't read since high school.
What are you all reading lately?
p.s. - I just found out that Harper Lee based the character Dill in To Kill a Mockingbird on Truman Capote, who was her childhood friend. What a weird coincidence!

No comments: