Saturday, November 15, 2008

Frida and blue jay babies.

I love the full-bleed cover of this book. It's "I Will Never Forget You" by Salomon Grimberg. It documents the friendship and affair of Frida Kahlo and the photographer Nickolas Muray through their correspondence and portraits of each other. I'll be getting this book sometime in the near future for sure.
Me and Tiges.
As you can see, my room is still in progress. I am thinking this weekend is the weekend it finally gets moved around! Then it's a trip to Ikea (which are always epic) and mini studio in my room!
Last night I dreamt that my room was infested with miniature bluejays, as though they were a type of insect or something. They kept hiding in small carve-outs in wooden furniture, and I kept trying to catch them. I wanted to take care of them. Yesterday I realized that last week, I dreamt that a different animal spoke to me for four or five nights in a row. And every time I had the dream, I'd feel frustrated, because the animal speaking to me somehow took away what I loved about them so much. It was so strange. I think the fact that I had dreams like that so many nights in a row is proof that our dreams definitely mean something. I've never needed proof of that, though - I completely believe it. So I wonder what talking animals mean? They didn't say anything in particular. 
There are so many things I would want to go to school for. Psychology and marine biology and animal science and archeology. Lucky for us, in the world we live in today, there are small ways we can incorporate ourselves into these different things if we just look hard enough and try.
That's about all for today. I'll be back soon with something, whether it's art or not.
Love,
Amanda

2 comments:

www.juliadenos.com said...

Amanda! I love that dream, such powerful imagery. The bluebirds would make a beautiful painting hiding in little places. That theme is one I've had myself a lot since childhood (tiny animals, talking animals). It's funny you mention archeology in the same post. I always felt like dreaming is a type of archeology in its own rite. Lots of deep insight and real meaning can be "dug up" from dreams.

Thanks for sharing!

Amanda Laurel Atkins said...

thank you, Julia! that dream would make a neat painting. Dreams are amazing. I think artists have really intense dreams.