Friday, January 23, 2009

take me home, country roads.

There is a Korean woman who sings John Denver songs at the T. The first time I saw her was this New Year's Day. She was singing "Annie's Song," which I love. But for some reason it was the sound of her accent singing "Country Roads" that literally brought tears to my eyes. I wanted to give her a dollar but I didn't have anything on me. 
Today, as I entered below-ground from above-ground, I was so happy to see her there. I had to run down to catch the T on a lower level, but I quickly gave her a dollar. I ran down the stairs and as I sat down on the bench to wait, I looked up and she turned around and smiled at me and started singing Country Roads. I was so glad I got to hear it at least to the first chorus before my train came. Something about the way she sings John Denver breaks my heart in a sort of happy beautiful way. I wonder what he means to her, and if she misses another place the way John missed the mountains. If only she were one of those subway artists who sold a ten dollar CD of their songs. I would buy it in a heartbeat. 
And for good measure, Annie's Song, just because I love it so much.

No comments: