Wednesday, February 11, 2009

they're just dulled light.

moleskin pages 47 & 48
"the apartment"
Sometimes I can't sleep, or won't sleep (sometimes it's hard to tell). I'm definitely a night owl by nature.
Lately with subbing and working at AIB on monday mornings, I've been mastering the art of "early to bed early to rise" - but it's so easy for me to break that pattern.
Last week there was an online interview with Buddy Holly's wife. She talked about how they were both night owls, and they'd stay up all night in their pajamas and he'd play guitar. To me, that is wonderful. But sometimes I wonder if what I want is practical.
I guess I'm wondering if I am going to have the kind of job where I must make myself go to bed early. And if I obtain that sort of job, will I be happy? Or will I be giving up a big part of myself by giving up my right to stay up until 4 in the morning?
What's so wrong with staying up late, anyway? The night time is beautiful. There are stars and the moon. I've always preferred the moon to the sun.
I guess it depends on how much money you can make living off of your art. 
And if you have someone who wants to stay up late with you? Well then it doesn't seem like such a bad thing.
Tonight I gessoed a new batch of masonite. There is something calming about prepping your grounds, a mindless repetitive action that gets your hands dirty. I love the way it smells and the way it feels on my fingers.
I am thinking a lot lately. And translating that thinking into paintings. I think I will try and sleep now.
Love,
Amanda

No comments: