Wednesday, March 24, 2010

van gogh appropriated

"I'm worrying you're so smitten with this idea of a lost love, of becoming some sort of gorgeous starving girl-artist, with such big starving girl-artist eyes, that you don't realize you may accidentally be throwing your life away."
---
I'm reading "The Art Student's War" by Brad Leithauser. It's a beautiful novel set in Detroit during World War II, focusing on an art student named Bea who's assigned to draw portraits of wounded soldiers in hospitals.
I was telling someone at dinner tonight that I don't normally relate to female characters written by men. However, I find it almost alarming how this adult man so accurately portrayed the feelings of a young girl who is bound by her own creative vision and the way she thinks the world ought to be. I can relate to Bea so much, and a lot of the things she thinks comfort me because I think the exact same way.
I was beginning to feel burdened by how much non-fiction I was reading. I felt like I was putting myself through some sort of personal schooling. I'm going to read novels for a while.
Is anyone else reading anything good lately?
---
On another note, the show was so fun tonight! Thanks to everyone who came, and everyone who partook in the awesome china town dinner. :)
Love,
Amanda

4 comments:

madeleine said...

Oh. That quote is grand, and the book sounds wonderful, I shall add it to my list, thanks. I'm not reading anything terribly interesting at the moment, as I'm inundated with university work, but "Maurice" by EM Forster, I can't recommend it enough, it's heart-gut-mindwrenching. And I agree with you about men writing women, but noticed the other day that I don't really read that many works by women (I'm taking a course on Female Authors next term to make up for that)
xoxoMadeleine

A Painted Journey said...

I must read that book when you are finished with it. I promise to take good care of it and not let it get dog-eared (like the last one I borrowed:(

So glad you had a good time tonight!!! And the sun is out today - yeah! Love, Mumsy

Kitty said...

Dear Amanda,

I went and picked up this book at the library last week (because of your blog post about it). I started reading it today and I am so hooked. Thank you. I hope you had a lovely weekend.

hugs,
Kat

Amanda Laurel Atkins said...

Dear Kat,
I'm so glad you checked it out! I'm certain you'll absolutely love it. I hope all is well with you, and I have some small mail to send you soon. :)
xoxoxox