Sunday, September 14, 2008

mammals, like frosting

This is a deer I made last October as part of a larger project. The deer on her own ended up being my favorite part of the whole thing. I named her Deirdre. I was laying in bed thinking about her last night, and about how making her was so different from my typical art. There are so many things that I want to do. Some are similar to what I do now, and some are much bigger, much different, much more adventurous. I used to kind of talk myself out of certain projects. Even recently, with the birch tree drawings I've been doing. I'll think things like, "this doesn't really fit in with my current work" or "it doesn't seem me at all", even if it's something I really want to try. I've decided not to allow myself to ever do that again. Being an artist is like having an entire life that's a giant blank canvas. You can do whatever you want. If it doesn't turn out to be the best thing you ever did, it was a learning experience. I'm so excited for what's to come. I'm so excited to see how the art of my friends evolves over the years. Being out of college now, with all of us starting to get what it feels like to be 'real' artists - it's just so strange sometimes. But it's starting to feel really nice and like a really big adventure that's never going to end. So that's that! I have new things in the works but so many at once that none are ready to put up here. Mostly I've been going crazy trying to get ready for the show on Tuesday. I must trim prints now!! love, Amanda. ps - a good scan of "I was too young to know how to love her."

No comments: