Friday, October 17, 2008

animals are elegant.

  A few weeks ago I finished reading Muriel Barbery's The Elegance of the Hedgehog. I bought it on a weekend when I desperately needed to read something I could get caught up in. The beautiful title is what grabbed me, in addition to the cover art, which I find a little unusual and really bold. I love to underline the books I read and I was at no shortage of things to underline with this one. The book focuses on two main characters and I could relate greatly to both of them in different ways. I even recognized things I like and don't like about myself (mostly what I like in Michele, and what I do not like in Paloma). Anyway, I'm no good at book reviews. I'm good at analyzing and rambling about them. The book mostly consists of Michele and Paloma's own inner dialogues, and their thoughts were eerily similar to things I have thought of my whole life. It was neat to know that they were thoughts that had obviously crossed Muriel's mind at some point in time. The setting of the book (a small french apartment building for the wealthy) also just gave me that cozy place feeling - the kinds of places you can just barely reach. The feeling of looking in lit up windows in city apartments, or how the world looked new in a mirror when I was little. There's so much more to say on this, and I know I've written about that feeling in more depth in some word document hidden in my computer. I have to get back to the painting I am working on, though. So more on all kinds of things later. 
Love,
Amanda

No comments: