Saturday, December 6, 2008

empress of the aero-plane

"The Escapist (something for Anne)"
acrylic on masonite, 9x12"
I'm so happy I finally finished this painting. I had so much fun making it, from the wallpaper to the plastic red horse, who popped into my head one day and then I couldn't stop thinking about him. Ironically, just about five days after I started this painting, my mom and I found an identical red toy horse (except the one we found has a black mane and tail) at Fairground Antiques! So he sat next to me every time I worked on the painting.
I headed in to AIB to scan it yesterday, and got to see Kitty Wales speak while I was there. I love her work - such beautiful representations of animals. After that, I went to the show Jackie helped design, and they had a table set up where you could make cards out of glittery paper! I made some cards with silver birds, which I'll post soon. :)
On the train ride into Boston, an adorable pair of French grandparents and their grandson sat a few seats in front of me. I don't know what it is, but I love listening to children speak other languages, especially French. It's something about how it's their first language, and they probably haven't even realized that there's the possibility of having something else as a first language. It's all they know. And it sounds pretty. The grandson began to sing and hum, and I was thinking about how I like that humming is the same in all languages. No matter what.
I have so many things I want to show and talk about. There might be a post every day this week...:) I hope you're all decorating for the holidays and having fun. I heard it might snow tomorrow. Here's hopinggg!
Love, Amanda

2 comments:

rachel_jackson said...

i love the painting.

Unknown said...

The painting is definitely worth the wait :) looks great